Saturday 19 October 2013

If it's Green it's Good

I've been receiving some lovely messages and feedback about my blog, with one message in particular being repeated - What health product would I recommend - As I couldn't answer this question I took it upon myself to test out a few products - Human Guinea Pig style. Some of them were crappy and some were amazing. So for today I've decided to give you an amazing product.

Wheatgrass Powder.

I've known about this superfood for over a year now but I'd never really got around to trying it  (Something to do with it being bright green and made of grass). Anyway, on my hunt for health products I found myself in a 'Smoothie & Healthy Fast Food Bar' called 'The Shambles Kitchen' formerly known as 'Xing.' This bar is the best healthy-food-place you'll find in York; the menu boasts detoxing smoothies and juices as well as nourishing meals. On this particular day I was looking for a pick-me-up and the man in the shop suggested a shot of Spirulina or Wheatgrass - Having never declined a shot before in my life, I felt obliged to go with his decision. Here's what I got:


Yep that bright green unappealing looking substance is Wheatgrass. I also took a sample of a Banana smoothie to help the taste go down...

Review - I'm not going to lie, it isn't pleasant. It tastes like grass mixed with grit, normally I'd put anyone off anything that tastes like grassy grit but not this. Within 5-10 minutes of shotting the Wheatgrass I immediately felt better, from feeling groggy and ill I became livelier and headache-free. Unsure whether this miracle-effect was a one off I bought myself a bag of Wheatgrass Powder from Holland & Barrett to put it to test at home...


It's £7.99 for 200g at Holland & B however when I bought it, it was 2-4-1 so I got it with a friend and paid half price (Watch out for the H&B sales you can get some cheap buys from time to time)! My first taste at home was a shot of Wheatgrass and water - I nearly died in my kitchen - Seriously do not attempt it on it's own, it's so rank. I also tried it mixed into a smoothie but I wasn't a fan, it overpowers the smoothie's taste. 

Through testing (and vomming) different concoctions I've found the answer:
- 2 x Teaspoons of Wheatgrass Powder mixed with a dash of water and a cordial of your choice. It takes the flavour away completely.


Oh yeah and now for the quick de-brief into why it makes you feel better - I'm not going to give you the health jargon and list of individual minerals and vitamins because i'm pretty sure that nobody even knows (or cares) what they do (including me):

Basically... 3.5g of Wheatgrass Powder is equivalent to 50g of spinach. It boosts the immune system, contains all 9 essential amino acids AND contains an array of vitamins - These are just SOME of the health benefits, there's soooo many more. 

My tip for winter - Stock up on Wheatgrass Powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment